Job Posting: Office Manager
0.6 FTE* (24 hrs/wk); Potential to become Full-Time within one year
Position Open Until Filled
The IDEA School is looking for an Office Manager to help run vital aspects of the administration of the school. This position includes both day-to-day administrative responsibilities and management of longer-term projects and initiatives and requires someone with administrative/office experience, strong people skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to multitask. Office Manager reports to and works closely with the co-directors of the school.
About the IDEA School:
The IDEA School is a small, independent K-8 school, in our 7th year of operations, focused on inquiry-based learning and social-emotional development. The IDEA School provides a child-centered education that nurtures competence, creativity, collaboration and compassion through work that is meaningful to students and promotes lifelong learning. Through real-world problem solving and teamwork, IDEA School students grow to take charge of their learning and therefore their lives, both in and out of school.
We are located at the Dunbar Center in the Dunbar/Spring Neighborhood and have a growing student population that currently numbers 50 students, Kindergarten through 8th grade. More info: www.explorebuildlearn.org
Job Description: Major responsibilities include:
- Administrative support for the Co-Directors,
- Maintain attendance records;
- Vaccinations compliance;
- Health screenings (Covid-19 & seasonal illnesses);
- Student greetings & goodbyes;
- Aftercare coordination & Late pick-ups;
- Be available and able to support individual students as needed throughout the day, until a Collab or co-director takes over;
- Order and maintain basic supplies;
- Rostering, school calendar and other summer ramp-up activities
- Printing and mailing of donor Thank you letters and year-end receipts; donor database upkeep and management
- Administer constituent-relations management system (Salsa DonorPro), including timely updates of all donations, donor information, and donor communications
- Ensure weekly turnaround of donor thank you letters and January mailing of year-end statements
- Work with co-directors on donor appreciation, cultivation, and stewardship activities
- Administer and maintain digital and hard copies of all student records, follow up with families for missing records/info, and manage external records requests
- Follow up with parents regarding attendance, aftercare needs, etc, as needed
- Handle bank deposits and filing of revenue/expenditure receipts and reimbursement requests, including required record keeping per IDEA School’s policies and procedures
- Staff monthly Board meetings and ensure timely turnaround of meeting minutes, agendas and other Board materials; Keep ongoing record of all Board Actions
- Manage all incoming calls, general emails and visits, to ensure timely response by appropriate staff
- Schedule Co-Directors’ Office Hours and tours/meetings with prospective families as needed
- Coordinate volunteers as needed.
Other duties include:
- Update and ensure the accuracy of Student Registration/Contact info throughout the year
- Work with Co-Directors on weekly updates to attendance and aftercare logs
- Parent communications and follow up as needed (email, phone, text)
- In coordination with co-director, help current and prospective parents apply to required School Tuition Organizations (STOs) each Spring and manage incoming STO requests throughout the year
- Help coordinate tabling opportunities and special events as needed
- Research vendors, project costs, new opportunities as needed
- Manage ordering of needed supplies and materials
Qualifications: Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus at least 1 year’s administrative/office experience, or
- Associate’s Degree plus at least 3 years’ administrative/office experience, or
- A combination of demonstrated experience and training, comparable to the above.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs for: word processing, databases, spreadsheets, email and internet research
- Working knowledge or ability to learn, platforms and programs that support the program such as mail merge, Google Drive and Google Docs, Quickbooks, Canva, Website editing, etc.
- Bilingual a plus
- Strong attention to detail and efficient time management
Personal Characteristics: Executive Assistant & Office Manager should demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure your own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the IDEA School.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships, both internally and externally, to achieve the school’s goals.
- Communicate Effectively: Listen attentively; communicate clearly and in a timely manner.
- Focus on Stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track the details.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Starting Wage: $15.00 – $16.50/hr, DOE
Hours: 24 hours/week to start. This is an hourly position, for the right candidate, ability to move to a full-time, salaried position by August, 2021
Benefits: SIMPLE IRA Retirement plan with 2% Employer Match; Paid Sick Leave/Personal Days (8 days per school year); Paid Vacation (15 days/fiscal year); Up to 12 weeks’ unpaid Family/Medical Leave if needed; Staff Discount on enrollment; Autonomy and ability to take on progressively more responsibility over time; Being part of a great team working collaboratively in a mission-driven nonprofit school. Group Healthcare Benefit available for all full-time employees (medical, vision, life).
Please submit your resume and cover letter, and 2-3 professional references, to: Bahne Kuehne and Jaime Johnson & Laura Wilson Etter, Co-Directors, IDEA School:
Jaime@explorebuildlearn.org | Laura@explorebuildlearn.org
Mailed applications also accepted, though email is preferred.
325 W. 2nd Street #6
Tucson, AZ 85705
No calls please. Inquiries made through social media will not be returned.
The IDEA School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly values diversity in our student body, staf , and Board of Directors. The IDEA School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national original, ethnic origin, sex, age, socio-economic status, religious belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status or physical ability.
The IDEA School reserves the right to modify or change this job description as needs dictate. Job Posting: IDEA School