“We like the idea of happiness being emphasized as a measure of success… the IDEA School’s philosophy fits with the educational experience we envision for our daughter.”
– Cecelia and Daniel, parents of Kindergartener
We are a new, independent K-8 school focused on student inquiry-based learning and social-emotional development.
We are inspired by the work of Brightworks, the Ashoka Changemaker Schools, Start Empathy and the Reggio Emilia philosophy. We believe all children are intrinsically motivated learners and constructors of knowledge, and enjoy being productive. We believe children want to impact their communities and are eager to collaborate.
We are currently K-4 and will add a grade a year until we reach K-8. Our students learn in mixed-age groups with multiple collaborators (teachers), with plenty of opportunities for smaller group and individual work through our projects and explorations. For a look inside the IDEA School check out our Blog.
We engage our students in developmentally appropriate project-based-learning based on the students’ interests, ideas and questions. Our projects focus on real-world challenges to be resolved and always have an authentic audience.
We built the IDEA School on the basic premise that if children are allowed to follow their interests and pose and seek the answers to their own questions, and if teachers collaborate with them to extend upon the learning in which the children are naturally engaged, amazing things can happen.
For a look at our curriculum and pedagogy, click here.
For information on how to apply, click here.
- Children of all ages are intrinsically motivated learners, capable of extraordinary insight, passion and joy in their learning.
- We have the opportunity to truly nurture our children’s intrinsic motivation to learn. It is an opportunity we cannot afford to miss.
- Collaboration is central to learning, and children who feel a strong sense of community do better – in school and in life.
- Authentic assessment allows us to truly measure what children know and can do, and partner with them to help them push their learning further.
Thank you for your interest in the IDEA School. We’re glad you’re here!