Enrolling for 4th and 5th Grades. Apply today!
Our Kinder and 1st-3rd classes have filled up and we now have a Wait List. To learn more, or add your name to the Wait List, please contact us.
“We like the idea of happiness being emphasized as a measure of success… the IDEA School’s philosophy fits with the educational experience we envision for our daughter.”
– Cecelia and Daniel, parents of 1st grader
We are an independent K-8 school focused on student inquiry and social-emotional development. We develop critical thinkers, problem solvers, and productive, engaged citizens.
We are inspired by the work of Brightworks, the Ashoka Changemaker Schools, and the Reggio Emilia philosophy. We believe all children are intrinsically motivated learners and constructors of knowledge, and enjoy being productive. We build on that.
We are currently K-5 and will add a grade a year until we reach K-8. Our students learn in mixed-age groups with multiple collaborators (teachers), with plenty of opportunities for smaller group and individual work through our projects, research and explorations. For a look inside the IDEA School check out our Blog.
Our students are engaged in learning inspired by: their ideas and questions, experiences in the community, teacher-generated provocations, and expert visits/field studies. Our work focuses on real-world challenges and we use projects as a jumping off point for deeper exploration of academic concepts.
“I love seeing my son confidently present his learning to the community, and I love seeing him mentor the younger kids, too!”
— Michelle, parent of 4th grader
We built the IDEA School on the basic premise that if children are allowed to follow their interests and pose and seek the answers to their own questions, and if teachers collaborate with them to extend upon the learning in which the children are naturally engaged, amazing things can happen.
For a look at our curriculum and pedagogy, click here.
For information on how to apply, click here.
- Children of all ages are intrinsically motivated learners, capable of extraordinary insight, passion and joy in their learning.
- We have the opportunity to truly nurture our children’s intrinsic motivation to learn. It is an opportunity we cannot afford to miss.
- Collaboration is central to learning, and children who feel a strong sense of community do better – in school and in life.
- Authentic assessment allows us to truly measure what children know and can do, and partner with them to help them push their learning further.
Thank you for your interest in the IDEA School. We’re glad you’re here!